- The Milan court has sentenced former Finmeccanica chief executive officer Giuseppe Orsi and former CEO of AgustaWestland, Bruno Spagnolini, to 2 years in jail for determination invoices. It has also fined them 15,000 Euros every. each can charm to the next court – they’re going to not serve any jail term till the charm method is exhausted.
- The verdict in Italy brings relief not simply to the previous Air Force chief, who is additionally being investigated by the CBI back home, however conjointly the Congress, that led the previous UPA government that was left deeply embarrassed by the scandal.
- The BJP, then within the opposition, had alleged that the Congress-led government had attempted to cover up the “scam” from the time it came to light and only scrapped the chopper deal when it was compelled to do so.
- Air Marshal Tyagi said nowadays, I served the state for 40 years, this can be what I got. i’m grateful to God for this begin. Finger inform isn’t smart. The CBI is investigating the allegation that he was given kickbacks through a maze of corporations who treated his cousins. He has denied any wrongdoing.
- The trial in European country centred on corruption allegations against Finmeccanica within the Rs. 3,600 crore deal. Its British unit, AgustaWestland, was shrunk by India in 2010 to provide 12 high-end helicopters.
- In January 2013, India off the deal and also the CBI was appointed to analyze whether or not kickbacks were paid to Indian officers, as alleged in Italian courts.
- The CBI has alleged that the previous Air Force chief was instrumental in influencing choices that modified the tender terms to favour the specification of AgustaWestland’s helicopters. Air Chief Marshal SP Tyagi was head of the Air Force from 2004-2007.
- The CBI says that the tender was modified to incorporate technical specifications that might favour AgustaWestland.
- In August, the Modi government prohibited Finmeccanica from future contracts.
January 23, 2015